How to Resolve “Sage 50 Accounting Cannot be Started” Error?
If you’re using one of the most desirable and efficient accounting software that well manages all your business-related tasks i.e. Sage 50 accounting software then, chances are high that you also must be encountering various technical errors from time and again. This is so because, like any other technical software, Sage 50 is also not free from errors, and therefore, you suffered from various technical glitches with your Sage 50 software.
Considering this fact, today in this blog we’ve discussed the “Sage 50 accounting cannot be started” error in order to help all the Sage users to deal effectively with this particular error that restricts you from using your Sage 50 program. So, let’s start reading:
To start with, we’ve listed all the possible reasons behind the “Sage 50 accounting cannot be started” error, and they’re as follows:
- Reason 1: When your Internet connection is blocking the Sage 50 program
- Reason 2: When Sage 50 has an incorrect, damaged or missing data path
- Reason 3: When Sage or Pervasive file have been blocked by your Firewall or Antivirus
- Reason 4: When there’s no enough space left in the hard disk
- Reason 5: When Sage 50 program or user file is damaged
- Reason 6: When Sage or Pervasive file is missing
- Reason 7: When the program uses incorrect or invalid data path
- Reason 8: When the program is unable to recognize the drive as Admin drive
- Reason 9: When User Account Control is blocking Pervasive Database Service
- Reason 10: When your Windows operating system detects some Virus or Malware
- Reason 11: When the Sage 50 program is running in the compatibility mode.
Now, as you get enough idea about the reasons that cause the “Sage 50 accounting cannot be started” error, let’s continue reading to further know all the possible methods and their step-by-step solution guide to troubleshoot this error completely! You can use any of the below-given 6 methods to resolve the “Sage 50 accounting cannot be started” error:
Method 1: Disable Windows Firewall or Third-party Antivirus:
To disable Windows Firewall as well as third party antivirus from your Windows operating system, you can refer to our previous “Fix Connection Manager not responding issue in Sage 50 Accounting Software” blog.
Method 2: Uncheck ‘Run Program in the Compatibility Mode’
- To run the program in the ‘Compatibility Mode’ you need to click right on the ‘Sage 50 accounting software’ icon from your system.
- Then, from the contextual menu, click on Sage 50 accounting software ‘Properties’ option.
- From its properties, click on the ‘Compatibility’ tab and then you have to uncheck the box next to “Run this program in compatibility mode for”
- Instead put a check mark next to “Run this program as an Administrator.”
- Now, click on the ‘Apply’ and ‘OK’ button to apply the changes that you have made recently.
- That’s it! You can now check whether Sage 50 accounting software opens without any error or not.
Method 3: Uncheck ‘Run this Program as an Administrator’
- Similar to method 2, click right on your Sage 50 icon in order to open Sage 50 ‘Properties.’
- From it, click on ‘Compatibility Mode’ and then check whether the UAC is enabled or not.
- If UAC is enabled then, remove the check mark next to “Run this program as an Administrator.”
- Then, click on ‘Apply’ as well as on the ‘OK’ button to save the recent changes.
- Now, try to open your Sage 50 program and ensure whether the issue has been resolved or not.
Method 4: Restart Pervasive Database Service
The Pervasive Database Service is considered one of the main reasons behind the occurrence of this error because the service needs to be started in the background before the Sage 50 is launched. But, when a Pervasive database service has been blocked or goes missing due to many factors then, this error occurs. So, in order to fix the given issue, what you have to do is restart the Pervasive Database service either from the Task Manager or from the Service menu.
Option 1: Close Process and Restart Pervasive from Task Manager —
- First and foremost close your Sage 50 program on all computers.
- Then, press ‘Ctrl +Alt Delete’ key shortcut from your keyboard to load/open the ‘Task Manager.’
- From it, go to the ‘Details’ tab and search for the “w3dbsmgr.exe.”
- Once you are able to locate it select the process and click on the ‘End Task’ to close the process.
- Now, go to the ‘Services’ tab at the top of the screen and look for “psqlWGE.”
- Then, click right on “psqlWGE” and from the contextual menu, select ‘Start.’
Option 2: Restart Pervasive from Services Menu —
- From your keyboard, press together the ‘Win +R’ key shortcut in order to open the ‘Run Dialog box.’
- Then, in the required text field enter “MSC” and hit the ‘Enter’ button.
- Now, stop ‘Sage 50 SmartPosting’ by clicking right on it and selecting the ‘Stop’ button.
- Similarly, click right on ‘Pervasive PSQL Workgroup Engine’ also and select the ‘Stop’ button.
- Alternatively, start both ‘Sage 50 SmartPosting and Pervasive PSQL Workgroup Engine’ by clicking right and selecting the ‘Start’ button. That’s it!
Method 5: Reinstall the Program using ‘Run as Administrator’
- To do so, access the installer from “C:\Sage\Sage50_20xx_x\” (Note: xx is the year and _x is the product update number)
- Once you accessed it, click right on the ‘Maint.exe’ and then from the available contextual menu, select ‘Run as Administrator.’
- Now, when prompted, simply select the ‘Repair’ option in order to allow the reinstallation of the program to be successful.
Method 6: Run Sage 50 Advisor Diagnostic Tool Test to Check Data Path Permissions
Sage 50 Diagnostic Tool is a comprehensive tool that is designed to identify and check various Sage 50 program-related errors such as firewalls, network connection failures, and security settings, etc along with their causes. So, to use it, you need to access it with the help of these below-given steps:
- Press the Windows start button from your keyboard in order to open the ‘Windows Start Menu.’
- From the menu, click on the ‘All Programs’ option and then click on the ‘Sage 50 Accounting Program.’
- Under it, click on the ‘Resources & Help’ option then select ‘Tech Support Utility’ in order to click on ‘Sage Advisor Diagnostic Tool.’
- That’s it! Now, click on ‘Agree’ to access the tool completely and to check ‘Data path permissions’ to ensure whether you have successfully resolved the error or not. Also, as you have assessed the ‘Sage Advisor Diagnostic Tool,’ you can run the following Scheduled tests:
- Company Location Check
- Firewall Check
- .INI file Check, Locked File Test
- .NET Error Check, Domain/Workgroup Check
- Permission of Data Path Check
- IP Address Check, Server Check as well as many other important checks.
However, not only for now, you can use this efficient as well as effective ‘Sage Diagnostic Tool’ whenever you encounter any error related to your Sage 50 accounting software in the near future.