Top Scrum Master Interview Questions
- February 9, 2023
Many organizations have realized that Agile methodology works best in technology projects. The best way to adopt the Agile methodology is by implementing Scrum Master in their daily work. So, if you are new to the tech world and are looking for the best ways to crack an interview, then it is by preparing for these Scrum Master interview questions.
Being a Scrum Master means being a competent team member and keeping the Agile framework intact. To grow in your career and lead your team to success, you need to know everything about being a Scrum Master.
Top 10 Scrum Master Interview Questions You Need to Prepare for
As a Scrum Master, you will be asked questions about your responsibilities, work, team, etc., in your Scrum Master interview questions. Here are a few common questions:
- Who are scrum masters, and what are they responsible for?
In a team, goals are set by Scrum Masters, and they help the team reach its goals. They act as a coach and mentor team members in need. They are not only their teams’ leaders but also their motivators.
- What is a “user story” in scrum?
Building a product or a service from a user’s perspective requires keeping an eye on the process from the same view. This is where user stories come into play. User stories are the description of a feature from the end-user’s perspective.The users’ motivations and requirements in a simplified manner.
- How do you help picking up good user stories for the team members?
Ensure the entire team is aware of the process of writing user stories and how you will help them pick good user stories.
A good user story must contain the following elements:
- A good description
- Acceptance criteria
- Performance criteria
- Tracking criteria
- All the dependencies
- All UI deliverables
- Suppose, a member of the scrum team is not willing to take part in the sprint planning meetings and considers the meeting as a waste of time. How do you deal with that kind of attitude?
These are the type of Scrum Master interview questions you should be well prepared for. You can answer this question by saying that while Sprint planning is a crucial step, you want to avoid imposing it on a team member. Instead, try to understand their perspective and make them see your perspective.
The best solution would be to find some common ground that doesn’t disrupt any work done by the rest of the team.
- Define the roles in scrum.
The top 3 roles in a scrum are:
- Product owner – This individual is responsible for making executive decisions about a product. So, decisions like features, design, priorities, etc.
- Scrum Master – The person responsible for handling the scrum team and ensuring everything is delivered on time.
- Scrum team – They are a team of people working together on the same goal, i.e., delivering the product fitting the requirements to the stakeholders on time.
6. What are the responsibilities of the scrum team?
A scrum team is usually made up of five to seven members are their responsibilities include the following:
- Delivering the requirements of the products within the planned sprints.
- Maintaining transparency in work.
- Reporting daily advancements and keeping the updates informative and crisp.
- Being collaborative.
7. What are the advantages of doing scrum?
When performing a test with Scrum, you will:
- See minimal risk in response to changes made in the system.
- See an increase in the ROI.
- See an improvement in the process daily
- See the software actually at work
- Get the change to enhance the software for another iteration
8. What is the ideal duration for a sprint? How does it affect the workflow?
Depending on how your teams function, you can either have a 2 week’s sprint or a month-long sprint. Usually, a 2-week sprint works the best for most work environments because it is easier to plan more accurately for a shorter time so tasks can be completed on time.
9. Explain Product Backlog In Scrum
Prioritizing tasks for a product before the sprint planning begins is the most important task a Scrum master has to handle. So they analyze all the teams’ features, requirements, and bandwidth and decide on priorities for the upcoming sprint.
All the new features in a product that are saved for later are called to be stored in a product backlog.
10. What Are Scrum Artifacts?
Scrum artifacts include:
- Sprint backlog
- Product Backlog
- Velocity chart
- Burn-down chart
Almost all IT companies have adopted the Agile methodology of working on projects, so if you are looking to become a team member in a tech organization, you must first become capable enough of becoming a Scrum Master.
These scrum master interview questions will help you clear the interview and take over sprints at a snap of a finger.