All About QuickBooks Update Error 15106: Causes and Prevention
QuickBooks is a cutting-edge technology that is meant to sort your financial-assistance needs. It works ideally on every possible platform, but it requires consistent updates to work seamlessly. Updates are necessary for accessing the latest features and improved functioning, but few glitches like QuickBooks update error 15106 prevents your QB product to update its version and attain next-level performance. So, in this guide, we will be discussing the QB error 15106- its causes and preventions, so that whenever the issue arises, you can choke it right there.
First Let’s See: What is QuickBooks Error 15106?
QB Error 15106 is an update error that keeps the software from updating the versions of QB desktop. It usually occurs with a message stating:
“Error 15106: The Update program cannot be opened” or “Error 15106: The Update program is damaged”.
So, here we will be discussing the ways using which errors can be fixed or controlled in the easiest possible manner.
Causes of QuickBooks Payroll Update Error 15106
To get rid of an error, it is important to understand the cause of it. So here is the list of the causes that can trigger QuickBooks error 15106:
1. An antivirus program:
We all keep antivirus programs handy to keep our device protected from malware, virus and other security threats. But, the same antivirus program can interfere in the functioning of various other applications such as QuickBooks and it can also create an issue in the update-execution.
2. Not logged in as administrator:
Only an administrator on a system has the right to make modifications to the system. So, if you don’t have the admin-level rights, it may become difficult for you to install the QuickBooks payroll update.
How to Fix QuickBooks Error 15106:
QuickBooks error code 15106 can be fixed to continue the update, for this try the below-given steps:
Step 1: Log-in as Administrator:
First, make sure that you are signed-in with an account that gives you administrator rights. To log-in as an administrator, right-click on QuickBooks Desktop icon and choose Run as administrator and this way you can access as administrator-level rights. Make sure you have the administrator’s login credentials to use the admin rights.
Step 2: Stop the Antivirus Application and Rename the Folders:
To stop the working of antivirus on your device, follow the steps given below:
- Press the keys Ctrl+Shift+Esc open Task Manager
- Now access the Processes tab and search for [ANTIVIRUS].exe such as Norton.exe. You can also consider deleting the antivirus program if it is required.
- Choose End Process
- Now Rename the QuickBooks update folder by following the steps given below:
- Press Windows+E to open the File Explorer
- Open the C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks(year)\Components. And, for 64-bit users, go to C:\Program Files(x86)\Intuit\Quickbooks(year)\Components.
- Right-click on the downloadqbXX and then select Rename. In the place of XX, you need to add the version of QB you are using. Such as downloadqb19 for 2019 version of QuickBooks
- In the end add .old at the end of the name, such as downloadqbxx.old
- Now, again update the QuickBooks Desktop.
Step 3: Turn off the User Account Control (UAC)
For Windows 7 and 8 users: Turn off UAC temporarily
For Windows 10: try the next step
Step 4: Clean install in Selective Start-up
To install or uninstall QuickBooks Desktop in Selective Startup mode, follow the below-given steps:
1. Prepare your data:
- Create a backup of your company file.
- Keep a copy of your QB Desktop and license information.
2. Start your device in Selective Startup mode:
- Press Windows +R to open Run command
- Type msconfig and then hit OK
- Now from the General tab, choose Selective Startup and load system services
- Open the Services tab and then choose “Hide all Microsoft services”
- Choose Disable all
- Undo the check from “Hide all Microsoft Services”
- Make sure that the Windows Installer has selected all the services.
- Click OK
- Now “Restart” from the system configuration Window.
3. Uninstall the QuickBooks Desktop:
On your computer, clean the installation of QuickBooks Desktop
4. Go to Normal start-up mode:
Once, the QB is installed, go back to the normal configuration of your desktop,
Using the above-mentioned cures, you can possibly get rid of QuickBooks update error code 15106 and install the latest version for your QB payroll desktop